Sunday, January 9, 2011

Top 10 of Twenty Ten

As I was traveling back to Canada, I was able to reflect on the incredible adventure that has been 2010 in Paris. Going on exchange has been one of the most incredible decisions of my life, and I am constantly in awe of the many extraordinary adventures and activities that I have been fortunate enough to take part in over the past four months. Without further ado, here is a Top Ten list of the year so far (in no particular order):
  • Mumford & Sons concert. Such an incredible show, the crowd was amazing and they worked us. Add in the cool setting, being ridiculously close to the stage and getting to meet Ben and Marcus after was definitely my coolest, most rad concert experience. Tom and I had a riot.
  • The climb up the mountain to Notre Dame de la Garde in Marseille. That hill was the steepest thing I have ever ascended and could do without it in the future. But it made the view from the top even more incredible. The church itself was beautiful, the panoramic views were breathtaking on that beautiful warm sunny fall afternoon and could not have been more perfect. Tasting the fresh sea air, which I hadn’t realized how much I had missed. The wonder at remembering I was in France, in such a beautiful country, about to have an incredible weekend. It was also the real start of my close friendship with the lovely Annabel.
  • Walking along the Seine and the Eiffel Tower. Any day, any time, any weather. I feel like I’m in a fairy tale, incredulous that I am living in what may be the most beautiful city in the world, surrounded by history and majesty. The bubbly feeling that rises inside me has yet to go away.
  • My Day in London with Christie. Hanging out for the first time with Christie in over a year and a half and picking up like it was yesterday, and having a close friend back was in itself wonderful. Then add in the bus tour, Top Shop, the London Eye and Covent Garden and words can’t express how amazing that day was. It has made me realize that you will always be able to pick it up where it was left up with a true dear friend. Thank you for the incredible day Christie! xx
  • Hitchhiking to Amsterdam. One of the coolest things I have ever done. I would recommend it anyone, and I was so lucky to have such a great experience. Simon and I were a kickass team. Our drivers were compassionate, kind, and amazing people, and the race aspect of it made it all the more memorable. Plus, Amsterdam itself is sick and I am in love with the houses. Thanks to Timon and Ayumi for organizing the event!
  • Hungover days with Annie Waters. Though we are very opposite, different people, there is something so fun in my friendship with Annie. She is awesome – hilarious, always up to do something, intelligent… this is getting sappy. Anyways, there have too many great hungover days with the little lady, and so much food (potatoes!) and chats and Scrubs and the Big Bang Theory among other things. Woah Woah. I love it.
  • Biking with Timon, perched sideways on the back rack. It feels so incredibly euro, and is always exhilarating (I don’t yelp nearly as often anymore). Biking is both efficient in time management, so clutch at night after last metros and a fantastic way to see the city. I will sorely miss both Timon and his bike rides next term when he heads back to Utrecht (the Netherlands).
  • Ballet Anna Kerenina at the Theatre Champs Elysees. I have never seen anything so incredible, and I cant put into words the experience of that performance. It was spectacular, the way the ballerina moved. Our whole group couldn’t get over it. Magical, so many goosebumbs. And then the added view of the Champs all lit up with the Roue de Paris at one end of the Boulevard and the Arc de Triomphe at the other, bathed in Christmas lights. It was one of my most memorable evenings.
  • Sinterklaas. The poem reading was so touching, and comical. My favorites were Leo to Timon, Timon to Lisbeth and Lauren Bailey to Boris. A very cool cultural experience that I will never forget. Plus there were yummy Sinterklaas treats.
  • My Christmas Dinner. The whole day was a gongshow of epic proportions and was the best decision I ever made. I am so glad I got to share it with such an incredible group of friends, in such a unique setting. The legendary aspect of the number of people (18) the conversion of the living room, the meal and the atmosphere was more than I could have hoped for. I love Christmas.
Other things that made this term rock:
  • Ballroom dance lessons. It just feels so classy. I plan on taking them well into the future.
  • Nights dancing at Le Financier. Such good times.
  • Salon de Vin. I felt pretty damn French. It was a very cool experience.
  • Drinking wine at many soirees in general, (and the soirees themselves).
  • Pumpkin carving (the evening and day that followed with Etienne and Annie)
  • Biking in Bretagne.
Bisous les amis.


No comments:

Post a Comment