Saturday, January 1, 2011

My First Visitor!

First, I'd just like to wish everyone a very happy New Years! Hope 2011 will be even better!


Where did I last leave off? Unfortunately in the rush towards Christmas while still in Paris and once returned home to Kingston, the blog has been sorely neglected. However, now that the holiday season is wrapping up and I’m about to head back to la belle ville, here’s a little recount of the craziness that took up my last few weeks.


Friday morning came all too quickly after my Thursday at Mix, but it was necessary since a friend from Canada was coming to visit for the weekend! Tyler Woodbury and I went to Vanier and KCVI (high school) together, and both go to UBC. This year Tyler is also on exchange to LSE (London School of Economics), so when he heard I was just across the channel in Paris, he got a hold of me and organized a weekend visit. Though we’ve spent many years as casual friends, we had never really hung out before, but nevertheless I was really excited to have a familiar face come visit and catch up about familiar things back home, dually nice since we have the Kingston and Vancouver connection.


After a short delay in his eurostar train, Tyler arrived at my metro stop just after 11 and I gave him a quick tour of my apartment and grabbed a quick snack before heading to the Velib station to pick up some bikes. After a bit of struggling, we got our velos and headed up Vaugirard to begin what would be the most ridiculous day of traversing Paris, primarily on foot. First stop: Sciences Po and St Germaine. It was very fun marshalling all the fun facts I had learned about our school and the quartier in which it is housed. we had parked our bikes and continued on foot by a few of the school buildings, including our impressive new library that is decked out with hundred of Imacs. We then strolled along St Germaine with all its expensive boutiques and trademark cafes while winding our way up to the Seine. It was a freezing cold day, but it wasn’t too bad until we got to our destination, the Pompidou, around 2 to meet up with David, Shaun, Corina and two other American girls, Melody and Jordana to hit up the most delicious falafel you will ever eat, courtesy of L’as du Falafel on Rue des Rosiers followed by what David claims is the best baklava in the city. It was the most scrumptious lunch ever, and all for a mere 5 euros. It is a must stop on any tourists list.


The only downside to this absolutely fantastic lunch was that it was eaten outside, and due to the aforementioned frigid temperatures we were chilled to the bone and none to happy about it. Thankfully David had the bright idea of inviting a bunch of us back to his place a short walk away and warm up over a few pots of tea. En route, we happened to find an abandoned Christmas ball on the ground a proceeded to kick it along our root. It was fun to see who would kick it back to us when it strayed, from young children, businessmen in suits to middleaged women. Its funny how such a simple childish act can bring out the kid in all of us, and considering what a lame form of entertainment it was, we had a ball kicking the bauble all the way back to David’s. Once inside his blissfully warm apartment, I have never been so happy to have a steaming cup of tea. Warmth, beautiful beautiful warmth.


After our short unthawing, Tyler and I ventured back outside by 4 and decide to continue our walking tour. I can’t believe how far we walked, especially considering how cold it was. We walked back towards the Seine, along it and up by Place de la Concorde, by the Christmas markets and up Champs Elysees to Arc de Triomphe, down in to the 16th to Trocadero, back over the river by the Eiffel Tower, Hotel des Invalides, and all the way back down to my place, taking about 3 hours of straight walking. It was lovely though, seeing the night lights come on along the Champs Elysees and watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle brilliantly on the hour. Paris is the most beautiful city of lights, and it was cool to walk past all the historic, tourist monuments in one go, all the history. Not too shabby at all.


We got home and took a much needed 15 to put the feet up before heading back out and over to the 11th. My Chilean History class was having a dinner at this random, but really cool Uruguayan cooperative. There were only a few of us, but it was still fun and a really cool vibe in the place. We had traditional empanadas and I took the risk of trying the blood sausage, not really sure of what it was. Needless to say I didn’t finish it when I realized it was blood mixed with flour in a sausage skin. Not gonna happen.


After the dinner Tyler and I decided we would do some more walking and walked through the 10th and 11th by Bastille on our way to a jazz bar called Duc des Lombards around midnight. It was a really nice place, and we got good seats to the free jam session. After a bit, Corina, Jaoa and other Sc Pos showed up and I chatted for a bit before Tyler and I decided that the last metro was a necessity and were home and in bed by 2.


Saturday we were up by nine and after a quick breakfast departed on velibs once again under a light snowfall, headed for the Musee d’Orsay, one of the art museums in Paris. I am a little embarrassed to say that that was the first real museum I have visited in my first three months. Thank goodness for visitors and making me get out and see the city. We spend the morning there and saw many paintings incredible paintings and statues, my favorite of which were the Degas’ and the Monet’s (sadly limited since most of them are in a Monet exhibition that has been sold out for months). Afterwards we headed across the river and walking around the Tuileries gardens and walked by the entrance of the Louvre. It was lovely seeing the gardens under a fresh blanket of snow. We then walked up by Place de la Concorde and Place de la Madeleine to stop up at this amazing mustard store so Tyler could pick up some specialty mustards for the mother. (I really need to get on my Christmas Shopping). By this point it was probably three and we were a bit wet from the snow/rain, cold and hungry, so we took refuge in a standard little Parisian restaurant. After a solid lunch it was back on the velibs (Tyler had developed an increasingly terrible foot pain) for more fun navigating through Paris with Lauren. It was a good ride, which ever featured a ride back through the Tuileries to avoid yet another one way going the wrong way (I never realized how many there were until I started biking!). We ended up by Chatelet and walked over the bridge to check out Notre Dame, and it was my first time venturing inside. Incredible. Unfortunately it was a little rushed, but I need to make a point of coming back and appreciating the grandeur and aura of world’s most famous Cathedral.


Sweet Shot of Place de la Concorde with the Eiffel Tower in the Background


Back on the velibs and more getting lost on our way home. Tyler then kicked back and relaxed for a while as I got showered and changed and headed out to see a ballet, Anna Karenina, which I had bought tickets for a while ago with Maia, Annie and Corina before I knew he was coming. Off I went all dressed up to the Theatre Champs Elysees, glowing with excitement of seeing my first ballet since I was a young girl, in Paris of all places by the Champs Elysees. No big deal. After a VERY stressful beginning where we thought we would not get to see the first act as Annie was running really late (her plane back from Hungary had been delayed), we were able to get seated in our balcony center seats with literally maybe 10 seconds to spare. It was all worth it as the beauty of the performance that unfolded in front of us got underway. I can’t even begin to describe how incredible to Ballerina was, and the other dancers as well. The way she moved her body, the grace, the power, the choreography, the music – it was the most beautiful thing I have ever witnessed and I am now in love with ballets. Constant breath being taken away, goosebumbs etc. At the intermission we sat there stunned, in awe, not believing that we were this fortunate to see such a ballet, the St Petersburg company, for only 30 euros. In act two the magic continued and the performance was followed by 10 minutes of applause. Maia, who has been to see over a dozen ballets, proclaimed this to be the best ballet by far that she had ever attended. We remained in our seats another 10 minutes, recalling one feat after another. Handsdown one of the best things I’ve done while here.


After walking back to the metro and taking in the Champs Elysees all alight with Maia, who I had a lovely chat with, I headed back home to change, and get Tyler. That night was my friend Glenn’s birthday, and there had been a surprise party at his place. Got there a little late, but still had a nice time, managing to catch the very last metro home. Upon our arrival to the home base, we stayed up another hour and a bit chatting with Etienne, whom I hadn’t seen in a week and who insisted we have Pastis with him (a drink that tastes incredibly like black licorice). I called it in just after 3, knowing we had another early (relatively speaking) day planned.


Tyler and I arriving at Glenn's Birthday


Up in the morning and off to see some more sites. First stop was le Marche aux Puces de Clignancourt, aka Flea Market. It was pretty impressive, and varied. It ranged from cheap clothes of the nice and not so nice gangster variety, accessories and shoes to antiques in prices that would make your jaw drop. It was a maze of small permanent stalls down twisting narrow alleyways and wider road of weekend vendors. All in all a fun trip checking stuff out, I will definitely have to make my way back and pick up a bargain or two when I am in the mood to actually shop.


After over an hour of wandering, we hopped on velibs and road down into Montmartre area in the 18th, with our first stop being Sacre Coeur. We ended up approaching it from the back, climbing up a steep hill and many steps. But it was worth it as we rounded the front of the Basilica and took in the incredible view of Paris, and made it a surprise. So to future Sacre Coeur visitors, don’t come up the main steps! We went inside the basilica, which is amazing, and wandered along. It was interesting to see how the architecture and aura of the structure is such a contrast to Notre Dame. After we made our way down the steps into the heart of Montmartre and walked through the sex store district on our way to see the Moulin Rouge. We went up to see Cimetiere de Montmartre, but being that it started to rain and Tyler’s foot was really causing him problems we hopped on the Metro and headed for home instead.


The late afternoon went by quickly enough as I got busy preparing my poem and present and potluck dish (my stuffed mushrooms) for Sinterklaas. Sinterklaas is the Dutch holiday celebration on December 6th. Sint, a man from southern Spain, travels north to deliver poems and small gifts to good Dutch children. The bad children, however, get beaten by Sint and his black helpers. That’s right, Dutch Christmas involves child abuse, and apparently the youngins have a healthy does of fear of Sint. For the Paris edition of Sinterklaas, organized by Lisbeth and Timon, we did a secret Sint, and everyone was responsible for a poem and small gift for their person.


My secret person was Leo, with whom I had gone to Amsterdam with. He is a funny Finnish guy, who wears a lot of plaid. Its pretty great. I was quite stressed out, however, about the writing of his poem, as I abhor poetry, and also his gift. You could leave a request on the matching website, and Leo had written TP for my binghole. Rather puzzling/frustrating if you ask me. For a while I was under the impression that he wanted a teepee (the Canadian in me thinking), and had no idea what bunghole meant, nor what to get a 21year old Finnish guy. After much consultation, David had come through for me at Glenn’s the previous evening and we realized that this was a Beavis and Butthead reference, to toilet paper. In the end, I got Leo a bunch of toilet paper and chocolates. Here is the poem:


A Sinterklaas Poem for Leo

The festive season is upon us once more,

When Sinterklaas arrives from distant shores.

Sint has come dole out the gifts,

Your suggestion, Leo, really gave him the shits.


He thought to himself, what would Leo desire?

He wondered and pondered as he sat by the fire.

What to get for a boy who’s friendly and kind,

Yet also so cheeky, a childish mind.


A mischievous grin always lights up your face,

You’re up for adventure, like a hitchhiking race.

Sint really appreciates your traveler’s spirit,

You found us a friend who is bushy and bearded.


You love drinking beer and wearing some plaid,

When hitting the d-floor, bromantic times be had.

Loved making your acquaintance, brief though it may be,

If passing through Finland, you’ll be the first one I see.

(I expect my lodging to be free)


Sint hopes you’ll take his present in the spirit of jest,

Given “teepee for my bunghole”, I really tried my best.

Here among friends with vin chaud and cold beer,

Let’s celebrate Leo, with Sinterklaas cheer.


Thanks to Annie who helped me marshall my ideas into rhyme!


Anyways, in addition to getting Leo’s poem ready and present, I also called Timon to check and make sure that it was cool that Tyler came to Sinterklaas. Of course it was alright, but Timon also suggested that we prepare a secret poem and gift for Tyler so he would feel included. I supplied Timon with some little facts about Tyler and our weekend as he graciously offered to write the poem, while I got the gift. I took advantage of Tyler’s solo tour of my neighbourhood to dash out and pick up some macaroons and added a bottle of nice red wine unbeknownst to him. He and Etienne were busy gaming as I sneakily wrapped the presents and prepared the mushrooms, and we departed to Timon’s just before 7.


We enjoyed a lovely potluck dinner (my suggestion) and Sinterklaas cookies and waffles until about 9:30 when all the participants arrived and the gifting got underway. Each member would their poem aloud, and open their gift, and then select the next recipient. The poems were lovely, the most touching of which were Timon to Lisbeth, Lauren Bailey to Boris and Leo to Timon. (I think my poem also caused quite a few laughs). I have to say that aspect of Sinterklaas kicks Christmas’ ass, but we’ve got it down with the Christmas dinner and much better carols and music if I say so myself. Tyler was so surprised of his gift and poem, which of course thrilled me. I was one of the last to receive my poem and gift, from Boudewijn. Here is the poem:


Dear Lauren,

Sinterklaas is happy to see,

That you, Canadian bee,

Is celebrating my birthday, finally.


Sint has been told a lot about you over the past few weeks,

Revelations that don’t even match those of wikileaks.


It seems you are quite the capable cook,

Showing you can easily do without a mapleleaf sized cooking book.


Sint hopes you will tell Santa he’s a big fat fail,

And that one day he will have to pay for the bill.


For trying to compete with my celebration,

Your Santa should quit and go on a very long vacation.


Sint Hopes you will enjoy this present of colour and style,

And continue your stay in Paris with a laugh and a smile.


The Dutch crowd enjoying Sinterklaas wine and desserts.


Leo and Timon hugging it out after a very touching poem reading.


I also received a very nice long necklace, as hinted as I have just begun amassing a collection to go with my earring hoard. All in all it was yet another lovely evening, a unique wonderful cultural experience surrounded by friends. Tyler headed home a little earlier as he had to be up at 5:30 the next morning, but we said goodbye when I got home at 1 with the last metro. It was a great weekend, and so good to do all the touristy things that I had not taken the time to enjoy yet. So come visit! It makes me mix things up and enjoy Paris even more! Plus then I would have your lovely company.


Bisous les amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment