Monday, April 4, 2011

Trying to remember how to be a real student again

After a very long period of play, I guess it was finally time I really had to apply myself to school work. I have in general struck a nice balance of school and extra-curricular interests, but I knew that March was going to end that ideal, and it was time to get my head down. I'll spare you the details of my daily life and just focus of some highlights of the next couple weeks.

Upon return from Grenoble I pretty mcuh spent all weekend working on an expose for Sport and Politics, which was on the politics of doping controls and was really cool. I did however that weekend decide to go to the theatre with Annie on Saturday. We scored some cheap tickets online and went to see a comedy called "Mes meilleurs ennuis" up in the 18th at a small local theatre. It was hilarious! A tale of two brothers having the worse day ever the morning of their sister's wedding. Best of all, I was so pleased with how well I followed along. It really proved to me how much my understanding of French has gotten, in terms of speed and especially slang. I would have been totally lost back in September, but had no problems that night. Plus, it was really nice to take in some culture in a very local Parisian environment.

Its also really unfortunate that this block of school work also falls as spring is really unveiling. On Sunday, I took a break from the expose to go walk around the Latin quarter with Annie. Paris comes alive on sunny days and the streets were packed. We tried to go see the mosque, which is apparently a must see, but got denied for wearing skirts. Oops. Walking around Paris always makes me fall in love with the Haussman buildings, and realizing that I should get out and just walk more rather than getting caught up in the day to day. Easier said than done. We ended up at Shakespeare & Co and perused the shelves. I picked up a new book called the Paris wife, which is a fictional recount of the romance of Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley; and their years in Paris. I can't wait to read about them going around to places I go by in my everyday life.

A sunny afternoon stroll in the Latin Quarter


On the gastronomic front, things have been going amazingly. Etienne's mother was in town that weekend, and I have been lucky enough to have French brunches all weekend - sliced ham, solf boiled eggs, baguette, rillette and viennoiseries (croissants, pain au chocolats etc). on Sunday night, Etienne's cousin Eve came over and we got some sushi. I like how when Gaelle is around I really get to practice my French. On Monday, she organized a belated birthday dinner and we had an exquisite meal. Starting with a fine bottle of champagne and a savory loaf, we had these coquilles St Jacques over a tomato puree for the appetizer, followed by a perfectly succulent roast with potatoes, salad and a great bottle of wine to compliment. For dessert, homemade fondant au chocolat - essentially a big brownie cake with soft melted chocolate in the middle. Eve was there again. I think its so lucky that Etienne grew up in a family of 5 cousins within 4 years of each other.

I gave my expose Monday without a hitch, and after underestimating how difficult a mise au point would be for History of Europe, I somehow managed to write 6000 characters, which is about 680 words on the Austrian School of Ecomonics and how their model can be applied to the Great Depression. I abhore economics so it was a real struggle, but I was proud of my efforts in the end, and glad to get it out of the way on Wednesday.

I celebrated that night by going over to Daniel's for a dinner party. He had an old friend and her boyfriend from Israel staying with him for the week as they begin a 9 month European tour. They were the nicest people ever. I can't imagine living out of a backpack, constantly moving, for that long. I think I'm much more suited for this camp-out in Paris and travel from there bit. It was also really interesting talking to them and hearing about their military service, which also applies for girls. They spent 2-3 years each in the military, in radio and search and rescue respectively. Now after their trip, they want to go to university. It was just weird to think of being 22 or 23 and not having had to opportunity to even begin studying yet, and talking to them was very culturally enlightening. I would at some point in my life be interested in going to visit. The dinner itself was fabulous, with a quiche, greek pasta salad and both vegetarian and meat lasagnas. Cheesecake for dessert. It really was great, and it was nice catching up with various casual friends including Julie, Prianka and Sarah Castles.

I also heard back from ACE with an interview request! Its set for next Friday over Skype.

Thursday morning swim, followed by walk up Vaugirard, picking up produce and cleaning of the apartment have become quite the ritual for me and make me feel incredibly productive. It really is wonderful. I also laid down my foot and informed Annie that we would be going to an Afterwork with les Veterans. I love a good night of just dancing, rather than sitting in a random bar buying one over-priced beer. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for these things, especially earlier in the week, but come Thursday when I'm finished classes for the week, I want to let loose and dance. This term I have hardly any friends who really like dancing and I have been missing it. Hence my need to put down my foot an insist on afterwork dancing. Tonight's edition was at VIP room, a very swanky club on Rue de Rivoli by the Tuileries. 15 euros for unlimited buffet and a-champagne before 9. I had also been avoiding Afterworks this term since I finish at 7, so by the time you get to the club, you end up having to wait in long for a while and don't get in until 8, losing an hour of the great deal. Anyways, Annie and I met at Sc Po and walked over to VIP room and got there around 7:30. We were in and coats checked just before 8 which was pretty good, after being a little bit of scene in line as Annie painted her nails on her one hand and we caught up on the weeks events. The really cool thing about afterwork is that all the people inside, especially the men, look fabulous all suited up and classy. This vibe was enhanced by a live cover band that was quite good that played on stage during the cocktail hours. We found Maude and the veterans group and then struggled against the mad champagne lines and managed to get three flutes before 9. Fortunately, being with our group, we had a bunch of bottles after 9 to pass around and even some vodka. The dance tunes cames on and I had an all in all great evening dancing away, or taking breaks chatting with people, including Johanna and Jasper, both of whom I'd just met casually before. By 11, feet sore, we rolled out and were home before midnight. Afterwork truly is a beautiful thing and I really should do it more often.

On Friday, after a mid day debat meeting with Grace for our terrible Histoire de l'Europe class, I met up with Annie, as we planned to go to the museum of Mode et Textiles, aka fashion museum. I wasn't fully in the museum mood however, and in that state, decided to save it for another day when I thought I would enjoy all 8 euros of entry fee. Instead we just walked all down Rivoli, window shopping and admiring the spring fashions. A very appreciated felafel stop in the marais was followed by more wandering past amazing little boutiques. Shopping in Paris is too good. There is just so much temptation. Good thing I am reasonably strong on the whole.

Afterwards, we headed back to Annie's to rest our sore feet. I then found out that my old KCVI biology teacher and cross country coach, Ms. Prentice, has passed away that morning unexpectedly after a cancer relapse. It was quite a shock and a bit upsetting. Its at these moments that I feel very disconnected from back home in a negative way. So far away and incapable of showing my support. In order to cheer up, Annie and I, or should I use our new nicknames of Meavis and Loovis, ended up binging on dance movies - Step Up and Take the Lead. I ended up staying until about 1, after we had booked tickets for a trip to Bordeaux for Easter Weekend/my birthday! Wine tour here we come!

The weekend was primarily filled with many readings for sport and politics, Russian politics, and Histoire de l'Europe. Somehow I also managed to run, hit the markets on Sunday with Etienne, skype so many people and do laundry. These small necessary tasks really interrupt the flow of the day though. At the end, even though I feel like I've been trying to work all day, I seem to have little to show for my diligence, thanks to these interruptions. Its very irritating, and gives people (Etienne) the impression that I never do work. This has been really annoying me lately, but I know I'm working away.
Easter bunny in the display window!

I also managed to get over to Corina's on Saturday night for a drink and catch up. Masters kills your social life and soul. I've realized I'm in no rush to get there just yet. Undergrad suits me just fine. After my drink, I headed to a salsa bar with Emmanuelle. I was really excited to practice my skills, which have gotten a little rusty since classes last term. By the end of the night though, I was definitely improving in my abilities to follow. I will admit though that I think if I had to choose, I prefer regular clubbing to salsa since I can just move however I feel. Salsa is concentration, and I don't know the songs. Its not just salsa either, but Reggaeton, Bachata, and Merengue as well. I do like the change, but I guess I'm just more in my element on a regular dance floor.

Sunday night was surprisingly also pretty great. As per usual, Etienne transformed into master chef for the evening and produced cotes de porc, salad, potatos, and an amazing '05 St. Emilion wine that made the meat sing. I made fun of his glasses as being cleaned with a tranche de jambon. Afterwards, we hung out in the living room grooving to the Shoe Polishers, which is this great Breton celtic music. Etienne got out his piccolo and we bounded around. Soon I was rocking out some Neil Young and Great Big Sea. This was also my first time trying malt whisky, as Etienne insisted I try some of his fine stash that he received for his birthday. I was surprisingly impressed. Soon I was trying to teach him the cup game that I learned at RKY (to no avail) and we cheers'd Breton style - Yehad Mad! A rowdy Sunday night indeed that was definitely a highlight of roommate living.

I'll cut this off here just to feel accomplished. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment