Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Visite en Bretagne

This past weekend Etienne was heading home to Bretagne, a province on the west coast of France and invited me to come with him. I happily agreed. All week it was up in the air whether the strikes (greves) going on in France right now would mean a cancellation of our trip, but fortunately our train was a go and we left Paris on Friday evening. We arrived in Lannion, 4hrs later, where his uncle and cousin picked us up from the station and drove us to his house in the small village of Trebeurden. We were warmly welcomed by his mother, Gaelle, and shortly followed by his older sister Marie, also home for the weekend. We made quick work at the delicious bakery bread, meat pates, cold cuts and 6 different cheeses. Mmmm, a wonderful way to come home.

A bit about the home. Originally a farmhouse, it was built in 1603, and redone in 1828. The date is engraved above the door. It is one of the older houses in the area. I am in awesome of the stone work, you can feel the history. Surrounded by yards, gardens, trees, and backing onto a huge field, it is so incredibly peaceful. The house itself is homey, and there is nautical memorabilia everywhere. There is a true sense of family in the house, especially with the new dog, Lawenn, and cays Cookie and Chouchenn. I can see why Etienne loves coming home when he can get away from Paris.

After a deliciously long sleep in on Saturday, the kind you only get when you are at home with no obligations. I got up in time to go to town with Etienne and Gaelle and did some shopping. They have the most pimpin car. It is an 80s hot rod, and has to "lift up" before you can drive. So cool. We drove through the town on our way to the farmers, where we picked up fresh eggs, veggies and meat. Again, I love this culture of fresh food. It truly makes a difference. The tomatoes were the best I have ever tasted. After lunch Etienne and I decided it was time to do some real exploring and busted out the dual suspension mountain bikes. Thats right, I got to rock out on a mountain bike. I only crashed once! (when trying to hop up on a curb). It was a very windy day, but gorgeous. We biked along the coast and stopped at various beaches along the ocean, stopping for tea along the way at a gorgeous Manor (manoir). Bretagne is incredible. The ocean is magnificent alongside the wild fields and rock faces. I loved it. It was actually a bit of a work out too with gusting headwinds in both directions and up and down the hills.


A shower back home before going to a Breton creperie. Yumm. The French love their crepes and galettes, the Bretons especially. It was delicious. I had the "Bretonne" - bacon, potatos, cheese and onions, accompanied by Breton cider (apparently you've never had cider until you've had cider from Bretagne). Dessert was a caramel crepe with french vanilla ice cream and meringue peices. Heavenly. I really should start becoming Tamara and take pictures of all the food I have been eating. What better way to end the night than with a hot cup of tea in front of the fire while watching Fame? If you have an answer, then please let me know. But I doubt it.

Another great night's sleep, and enjoyed a nice morning chatting with Gaelle while everyone else was sleeping, and actually catching up on some readings. Lunch was the big family meal of the weekend, with a delicious roast, cheese, bread, carrots and potatoes. I was in heaven. During the afternoon it rained so Etienne and I just chilled in the kitchen and played cards - apparently the French don't play crazy 8 countdown. It cleared late afternoon, so we headed over to his Grandparents, a 2 min drive away for tea. I met his grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousin. Integrate with French family: Check. They were so welcoming, and so French. It was so pleasing.

We ducked out of tea early to do a final walking tour of Trebeurdan (aller ballader). The village is so quaint. An excellent to spend childhood summers I bet. We went by a few quaint old chapels, before walking above the ocean. The views were incredible, especially with the sun. My breath was taken away. It is amazing how many beautiful places there are in the world. This is right up there.

Homeward at 7pm, getting back to Paris at 11:30. A great weekend, another very needed escape from Paris. When I'm in Paris I don't realize I need a break from the pace, but whenever I leave, I do. Not only the break to country and calm, but also to be surrounded by a family. Etienne's family has been so welcoming, they are my adopted family in France. It makes me feel so special. I had felt homesick for the first time really at Thanksgiving, but this weekend in some ways felt like the Thanksgiving I never got. I have been rejuvenated.

All for now friends and family. A tout!

No comments:

Post a Comment